Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Cycle Salt Lake Century


My friend, Jason, and I rode the Cycle Salt Lake Century last Saturday (that's me on the red bike.) According to my computer, I rode 105.73 miles. Max speed was 31.0 mph. average was 14.3. That average is the total ride time, including breaks (7 hours 24 minutes). We took some long breaks, especially the last one while we were waiting for Jason's wife (Heather) and daughter and my wife, dad and his wife to show up and then hung out with them for a while.

Over all, it was a really good ride, we were really moving the first 50+ miles, averaging well over 20 mph. The worst part for me was crossing the causeway to Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake. I rotting brine shrimp smell really made me feel nauseous. I made a couple of mistakes. I bought new shoes on Friday (Pearl Izumi carbon soled shoes, got a fantastic deal at the outlet) and I got my new Selle Italia saddle in the mail on Friday. So I rode a new saddle and new shoes on a century, which in general is a stupid thing to do. I was having major hot-spots on my right foot and I had the saddle about a quarter inch too high, which caused some not-so-great soreness that, in the long run, I think this saddle will actually help reduce. Not smart, but I had to break them in sometime, right?

On Sunday, Robyn and I rode with Jason and Heather and some other friends up to City Creek canyon again to have breakfast (it's going to be a regular Sunday ride.) I rode up the canyon some and back, so I rode further than most of them. A total of 12.8 miles.

I rode City Creek again on Monday morning, for the first time up to the water treatment plant, for a total of 18.51 miles.

Tuesday and today I just did my regular commute. About 8.4 miles, round trip.

We've canceled our camping trip this weekend due to weather. (It's 50 degrees out now, and raining. It was 80+ yesterday.) So, I hope to get some good rides in this weekend. I have 94 days until the Desperado Dual and I need to really get some good saddle time in.

No comments: