Monday, February 4, 2008

Sheldon Brown



1944-2008


Sheldon Brown, of Harris Cyclery passed away yesterday of a massive heart attack, much too young to go. If you don't know Sheldon (and I didn't really "know" Mr. Brown, though I did have the distinct pleasure of gleaning some well needed advice from him over at Bikeforums.net.) he was (is) an iconic figure in cycling. His articles and humorous advise, given in the most delightfully unpretentious way to anyone who asked, was for lack of a better way to put it, how you learn stuff about bicycles. Without Sheldon's words of advice, I'd have never thought to install my Shimano 105 brakes on my old Miyata backwards (front in back, back in front) with the nut inside the fork when I upgraded a couple of years ago.

He was (and thanks to the wonders of the internet, is) a great repository of knowledge freely shared. More than any race hero or legend, Sheldon was truly an icon. A man of the people. Us weird cycling people.

To his family and to those who knew and loved him at Harris and elsewhere in this ever shrinking world, you are all in my thoughts.

May the wind always be at your back, Sheldon. R.I.P. (Ride in Peace), Captain.







(I swiped the picture from Sheldon's site without asking...I hope that his family and friends do not mind.)

No comments: